Faisal Shahzad arrested for Times Square car bomb

New York Times Square

Times Square. Image from Wikimedia Commons.

A 30-year-old Pakistani-born U.S. Citizen, Faisal Shahzad, has been arrested in connection to the Times Square car bomb incident. He is due to appear in court today, Tuesday, May 4. Thankfully, he didn’t know very much about bomb making, as the device failed to go off, and no one was injured.  He did not pass go, did not collect $200, and was taken to jail. With the charges he’s likely to face, he’s going to need some hefty installment loans to get decent lawyer.

Faisal Shahzad arrested while trying to flee

Faisal Shahzad was arrested while trying to flee the country. At John F. Kennedy International Airport, he had boarded a plane bound for Dubai, and the plane was recalled to the runway.  According to the Los Angeles Times, the vehicle that he left idling with a bomb in it was traced to the previous owner, whom he had purchased it from.  The bomb, according to authorities, appeared to be the work of two people.

Described as quiet, family man

Faisal Shahzad was described by his neighbors as being quiet and mostly private. He never seemed to venture out of his house much, and there were conflicting stories over just what he did for a living.  One neighbor in his neighborhood in Shelton, Connecticut said Shahzad had said he worked on Wall Street, and another neighbor (according to CBS) believed he worked in Norwalk, Connecticut, which is nearby to Shelton.  Both described him as never emerging from the house much.  The house he shared with his wife and two children was later foreclosed on.

The President responds

President Obama released a brief statement in which he praised the efforts of the citizens who tipped off law enforcement and the law enforcement officials who responded to the threat.  He vowed that justice would be served, and the incident would be investigated.

Motivations unknown

So far, the motives of Faisal Shahzad’s Times Square car bomb haven’t been identified. What is clear, from the CBS reports and others reports, is that he had become a citizen. He had also purchased a home with his wife, which was foreclosed on, and afterward she and their children returned to Peshawar in Pakistan, where he had visited them.  He purchased a 1993 Pathfinder with cash and didn’t complete the necessary registration. Authorities found him by using the VIN number from the bottom of the motor and contacting the previous owner. He is due in court this afternoon — Tuesday, May 4 — and perhaps that may bring further insight.